Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Week 1 - Water

For those that know me, know I tend to jump on my soap box from time to time. Especially when it comes to living a prepared life. It seems like such a simple common sense thing, but when I look at how most people live, I realize that it is a foreign concept to the average person. So... rather than bombard you with all the reasons why(as there are many) you should be prepping, or a long list of what you should have on hand, I have decided to have a "Prep of the Week" post. Every week I will give you one or 2 items or ideas that will make stocking up simple and stress free.

That being said...
This weeks(and for many weeks to come)prep is WATER!
I know... big surprise there. But we all know that w/o water, you don't survive. Some people are blessed to be in areas where there are natural springs, and rivers. Some even have a well on their own land. But unless you fall into one of these groups, then like me, you are stocking up on water.

My first choice(although not thrifty)for water storage is a glass carboy. This can be heavy when full and not easy to transport. But I prefer glass for storage items.
http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Glass-Carboy-Home-Cider/dp/B005D88DEO/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1336435774&sr=8-11

If glass is not practical, then non BPA plastic will work.
http://www.amazon.com/Bluewave-Gallon-Reusable-Water-Bottle/dp/B000ZHMVM8/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

I also recommend a pump attachment such as this
http://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-Manual-Drinking-Water-Pump/dp/B000LXX8H8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1SOSE1CPSUL00&colid=2FB67PDVBSTPW

Try not to use tap water if at all possible. Some areas have water stores that sell reverse osmosis water pretty cheap, usually around .40cents a gal. Again, fresh spring water is best if you have a source.
It seems like like an investment at first. But if you use and rotate your water, it's cheaper in the long-run.

So that should start you off! If you have already accomplished this, then hang tight. More is on the way, and who knows, even if you are already prepping, we may have a new idea for ya down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment